Palle Suenson (1904 – 1987) was one of Denmark’s great, modernistic architects in the 2oth century. His work covers a wide range, from single-family town houses to large-scale office buildings and public institutions. The often impressive volume and serene form of his architecture are combined with an unfailing artistic sense of materials and details—and many of Denmark’s most prominent furniture architects such as Hans J. Wegner and Poul Kjærholm were employed by Suenson in their formative years.
In 1938 Suenson was commissioned to design a new office building for Aarhus Oil Factory A/S. The commission included interior, furniture and light fittings, most of which were custom made for the project. The present wall lights were designed for the canteen and realised in 28 examples. Suenson very carefully created interiors that would age gracefully. The lamps are characterized by soft, organic lines and a very modern expression that seems ahead of its time. The delicate free-formed curves of the outer shade beautifully frame the round inner shade, just as Suenson created a refined contrasting interplay between the dark green lacquered brass, the light opal glass and the patinated brass casing.